Colleton County Fire-Rescue

08/25/2018

25/August/2018 Structure Fire C Shift

Incident # 18-05887 An early morning fire destroyed a residence at 21 Libby Lane in the Johnsville Community north of Smoaks Saturday morning 25-August at 03:32. Engine 7 arrived to find the doublewide mobile home well involved with a portion of the roof over the center of the structure already collapsed. Firefighter-Paramedics deployed two 1-3/4 handlines and had the bulk of the fire knocked down within 20 minutes. Firefighters worked for nearly two more hours performing overhaul and extinguishing hot spots. The occupant advised he was in the residence when he was awakened by the smoke alarms and found the home on fire. He was able to escape unharmed. The man noted that a window air conditioning unit had been giving him problems and about an hour earlier the wall outlet under the A/C unit had caught on fire. He and a friend thought they extinguished the fire in the wall with a pot of water. The interior of the building suffered heavy damage. It appeared the fire originated in the area the occupant indicated and was electrical in nature. Water supply for the firefighting effort was shuttled to the scene by Tenders. Fire units were on the scene for 3-1/2 hours.

Engine 7, Engine 26, Tender 7, Tender 18, Tender 23, Tender 26, Medic 7, Medic 18, Battalion 1, Car 112 and Car 118 responded. Captain Jack Wimberly served as Incident Commander.

 
 
 
   

BACK TO HOME