Colleton County Fire-Rescue

02/05/2016

05/February/2016 Structure Fire A Shift

Incident # 16-00674 An adult male safety escaped his burning home after he was awakened by a smoke alarm Friday morning 05-February. The fire started in a bedroom and spread to the hall. The man had been sleeping on the couch in the living room. The bedroom door was closed, which contained the flames until they burned through the door. Fire-Rescue was alerted at 04:58 and arrived four minutes later from Station 1, one and half miles away. Firefighter-Paramedics found heavy smoke conditions coming from the single story wood frame dwelling and fire was visible through the front bedroom windows. Firefighters made entry through the front door and were able to quickly knock down the fire in the hall and contain the blaze to the bedroom. It did not enter the attic. The bedroom suffered extensive damage, but the rest of the home was saved, receiving moderate smoke damage. Firefighters searched the resident and rescued a cat. Paramedics performed a rapid exam, but the feline appeared to be in good condition without exhibiting any signs of distress. The power was out in the area due to a tree knocking down power lines just west of the home. Fire units were on the scene for two hours.

Engine 1, Engine 26, Tender 1, Tender 26, Tender 90, Medic 1, Battalion 1, Car 12, Car 110 and Car 118 responded. Battalion Chief Ben Heape served as Incident Commander.

 
 
 

BACK TO HOME