Colleton County Fire-Rescue

01/07/2015

07/January/2015 Structure Fires C Shift

Incident # 16-00108 Firefighters saved a residence at 168 Palm Street Thursday morning 07-January. At 09:59, a Water Dept employee working near the intersection of Palm and Doyle Streets noticed smoke coming from the roof of the residence and notified 9-1-1. Engine 1 arrived to find light smoke coming from the eaves of the doublewide mobile home. Neighbors advised no one was at home. Firefighter-Paramedics made entry through the front door with one 1-3/4 handline and found fire burning near the rear door of the home. A second 1-3/4 line was extended to the rear of the building and was used during overhaul. Crews were able to quickly extinguish the fire. The remainder of the home suffered heavy smoke and heat damage. The cause of the fire appeared to be electrical in nature. Units were on the scene for 1-1/2 hours.

Engine 1, Engine 27, Tender 1, Tender 19, Medic 1, Battalion 1, Car 12, Car 105 and Car 107 responded. Battalion Chief Ben Heape served as Incident Commander.

Incident # 16-00109 At 10:02, Fire-Rescue was sent to 143 Dandridge Road for the report of a thermostat exploding. Engine 26 arrived at the one story brick veneer dwelling to find light smoke coming the eaves and interior of the home. The incident was upgraded to a structural response. Firefighters determined the fire originated in the outside HVAC unit, causing an electrical short which blew out the thermostat. The HVAC unit suffered significant damage and spread smoke to the interior of the structure. The wall where the thermostat had been located was scorched, but there was no interior fire damage. Firefighters isolated the HVAC unit and evacuated the smoke from the interior.

Engine 19, Engine 26, Engine 33, Tender 26, Medic 26, Car 12 and Car 119 responded. Firefighter-Paramedic Brian Bishop served as Incident Commander.

 
 
   

BACK TO HOME