Colleton County Fire-Rescue

11/02/2011

11/02/2011 Structure Fire B Shift  

Incident # 11-05864 An overloaded electrical circuit is being blamed for a early morning fire that heavily damaged a bedroom. Fire-Rescue was notified of the fire at 00:57, Wednesday 02-November at 56 Hallie Lane. Engine 1 arrived 5 minutes later to find smoke coming from the single story block building and fire venting from a C side window. All occupants had safely exited the structure. Firefighters deployed one 1-3/4 handline, entering the building through a side door. Flames had just burned through the upper portion of the bedroom door as they entered the home. The interior crew knocked the fire down, entered the bedroom and were able to contain the fire in the room of origin. According to a person at the scene, the home was formerly a repair shop of some kind, which had been converted into a duplex. The interior had been partitioned off into rooms. The fire extended into the attic, causing some problems for firefighters. As they were pulling the ceilings, they discovered the ceilings to the existing rooms and a second ceiling which was part of the original configuration. Both had to be removed to reach the fire in the attic. 

Firefighters quickly had the fire under control and saved the remainder of the residence and most belongings. The fire originated in an electrical outlet, which also had a space heater connected to the socket. The fire spread from the outlet to items near the wall, into a closest and dresser, before spreading into the rest of the room. The bedroom suffered extensive damage, but the fire did not cause much further damage in the home. Light smoke damage was evident, but most of the fire remained in the bedroom. The second duplex suffered light smoke and minor water damage. Units were on the scene for 1-1/2 hours.

Engine 1, Engine 4, Tender 1, Tender 4, Tender 8, Tender 18, Tender 19, Tender 26, Tender 27, Medic 1, Medic 18, Battalion 1 and Car 12 responded. Battalion Chief Ben Heape served as Incident Commander.

 

BACK TO HOME