Colleton County Fire-Rescue


“C” Shift – Burn Patient w/ Air Evacuation

Incident # 10-06564 – A 20 year old man is in critical condition in the Augusta Burn Center following an explosion at an Augusta Highway residence Saturday evening. The incident was reported at 23:39 3-December at 6953 Augusta Highway. Witnesses told firefighters the man was pouring gasoline into a burn barrel when the 5 gallon plastic gas container exploded setting the man’s clothing ablaze. Bystanders assisted in extinguishing the man through the stop, drop and roll technique. Some of his clothing was burned completely from his body. Another man who was assisting received minor burns to his hands, but refused medical treatment. The singlewide mobile home located 25 feet away from the barrel received fire damage, as well as items in the yard.

An off-duty Firefighter-Paramedic arrived at the rural residence 11 minutes later, followed by Medic 26 and Engine 26. They immediately requested a medical helicopter. Crews quickly treated the man, established IV lines and administered pain medications. He was stabilized at the scene. Due to his facial burns and concerned about his ability to breath, Firefighter-Paramedics RSIed the man to secure his airway. Lifenet 3 made a scene landing in the backyard of the residence next door. He was loaded without incident and flown directly to the Still Burn Center at Doctor’s Hospital in Augusta Georgia where he remained in critical condition.

Engine 26, Medic 26, Battalion 1 and Car 12 responded. Battalion Chief Ben Heape served as Incident Commander.