Colleton County Fire-Rescue
Stations 1, 9, 19 and 18
responded to a Hazardous Materials incident at 473 Green Pond Highway
Tuesday afternoon 12-Janaury at 1221. Engine 1 was originally dispatched
to a possible ammonia leak at the Ice House located on the property.
Engine 1 discovered a leaking valve on an 800 gallon anhydrous ammonia
tank that was under repair. Crews evacuated the immediate area and
requested additional units and the Haz Mat Team. Personnel from the
repair crew working on the tank had attempted to wash the product away
using a garden hose, but left the area leaving the hose running. This
produced a larger contaminated area. Additionally the contaminated water
ran into a storm drain near the tank.
Personnel were able to close the valve which contained the leaking product and identified that approximately 10 gallons of corrosive liquid were present.. Personnel were able to test the water with PH paper, which indicated high concentrations of anhydrous ammonia. An air monitor indicated the area within 100 feet of the leak was within normal limits. The Ice House is located at the rear of the property, so closing Green Pond Hwy or evacuating nearby homes
was not necessary. Personnel were also able to dike the flow of water and stop the product from entering the drain. They began applying absorbent pads to soak up the product. Area Rae air monitors were set up drain openings downhill of the drain containing the product. There was no indication of the product moving through the drainage system. A second team finished the diking and absorbing.
Engine 1, Rescue 1, HazMat 19, Medic 6, Medic 18, Battalion 1, Trucks 11, 12, 110 and 111 responded. EPD, SCDOT and SCDHEC officials were notified and responded to the scene. A private clean up contractor also responded. Units remained on the scene for 3 hours. Asst. Chief David Greene served as Incident Commander.