Colleton County Fire-Rescue

11/15/2009

Stations 1, 12, 19 and 27 responded to a single family dwelling fire at 118 David Street in Eastside Acres at 1117, Sunday morning 15-November. Engine 19 arrived within five minutes, to find heavy smoke conditions throughout the structure with fire blowing out of a window on the B side of the structure. Firefighter-Paramedics deployed an 1-3/4 handline, entering through the front door and found the fire in the rear dinner room. Interior crews quickly knocked down the fire containing most of the damage to the dinner room/kitchen area. The remainder of the home suffered smoke and heat damage.

The residents were at home when they smelled smoke. Upon investigation, they found smoke in the dinner room near where a clothes dryer was set up in the corner. They awaken a child and then evacuated the house. Within those few minutes, the homeowner stated the smoke became so intense he could no longer see where the fire was burning and he also left the building. Engine 19 was supported by Tender 1. A second handline was deployed from Engine 19, but not used. No injuries were reported during the incident. Following an investigation, it was determined the fire originated from the clothes dryer, apparently in the vent tube.

Engine 1, Engine 19, Tender 1, Tender 12, Battalion 1, Medic 19, Medic 27 responded. Engineer-EMT-I Chuck Moyer served as Incident Commander.