Colleton County Fire-Rescue


Stations 1, 9, 19, 26 and 27 responded to a multiple fatal shooting incident on the corner of McDaniel Street and Gerideau Street at 2214, Monday 9-November. Witnesses noted someone opened fire at a residence on the corner injuring at least nine people. Four of the victims were taken from the scene in a private auto directly to Colleton Medical Center about 2-1/2 miles from the scene. Emergency crews arrived within five minutes to find a chaotic scene. One victim was deceased, while another suffered critical injuries. At least one other adult male suffered a severe arm injury, while the fourth victim received a minor wound to his foot. Firefighter-Paramedics quickly moved the victims from the yard into ambulances, continuing treatment away from the crowds. The ambulances quickly became blocked in due to the influx of police units and private autos on the narrow streets. This delayed the transport of patients until the drivers of the private autos could be found to move their vehicles. Responders had to seek cover at one point when additional shots rang out about one block from the scene.

No medical helicopters could fly due poor weather conditions. Medic 19 and Medic 27 transported three victims directly to the Trauma Center at MUSC in Charleston. One additional adult male with a leg injury was transported to Colleton Medical Center by Medic 9. Medic 26 and off duty personnel were

dispatched to the ED to assist with the sudden surge of patients. Additional off duty personnel also came in to staff two Medic units. Medic 26 later transferred one critical patient to the Trauma Center at Richland Memorial Hospital in Columbia.

Walterboro Public Safety Officers worked the scene and called SLED to assist with the investigation, which is ongoing. Three people died from their injuries, including a 20 month old girl. Rescue 1 responded at the request of the City to illuminate the crime scene for investigators.

Medic 9, Medic 19, Medic 26, Medic 27, Battalion 1, Truck 11, Truck 12, Truck 111 responded. Battalion Chief Dan Barb served as Incident Commander.