Colleton County Fire-Rescue


Stations 17, 5, 7, 18, 19 and 26 responded to a house fire at 6235 Sunrise Road about a 1/2 mile west of Augusta Hwy. The call was received at 10:54 AM, Friday 28-November. One of the residents was asleep in a rear bedroom, when he was awaken by smoke in the house. The man saw fire burning behind a dresser and attempted to extinguish the fire with several pots of water. After being unsuccessful, he notified 9-1-1. Fire units arrived within minutes and found heavy smoke conditions with fire visible in the front room and coming from the roof in the rear of the structure. All occupants had exited the building safely. Firefighters made an aggressive attack on the fire with two 1-3/4" hand lines. After about 20 minutes, firefighters had the flames pushed back to a manageable state. Crews worked for another 30 minutes before completely extinguishing the blaze. The house suffered substantial damage. Two rooms however were saved, with a front bedroom suffering only moderate smoke and heat damage. There was little saved from the remainder of the 80 year old home. The 74 year old woman who owned the house was transported by Medic 19 to Colleton Medical Center with respiratory problems aggravated by the smoke. She was released later in the afternoon.
Firefighters were on the scene for nearly three hours. The American Red Cross and Colleton United Way are assisting the family who had no insurance on the building. The fire appears to have started from an electrical short in wiring under the bedroom where the fire was first noticed. The fire quickly spread throughout the bedroom and extended into the attic and into an addition on the rear of the house. Three people were displaced due to the loss.
Engine 7, Engine 17, Tender 5, Tender 17, Tender 18, Tender 26, Medic 18, Medic 19, Battalion 1 and Truck 110 responded. Battalion Chief Daniel Barb served as Incident Commander.