Colleton County Fire-Rescue


Stations 1, 19 and 27 responded to a gas leak at 62 Furlong Drive, Sunday morning 9-November at 0855. The two elderly occupants called 9-1-1 to report strangers in their residence. When deputies arrived there was no one in the building except the two residents, however the the elderly couple insisted they could see other people standing in the room. Deputies alerted Fire-Rescue to have a Medic crew examine the couple. Engine 1 and Medic 27 arrived and noticed a strong smell of mercaptan, the rotten egg odorant added to natural gas, inside the residence. The crews immediately evacuated the home and began treating the elderly couple outside of the building. Medic 19 and Engine 19 were assigned to the call to assist with the second patient and bring air monitoring equipment to locate the gas leak. SCE&G was also contacted to send a technician to the scene. 
Upon investigation, several leaks were found in the pipes in and under the home. With the recent cold snap the family engaged their heating units, which could have contributed to the leaks due to increased demand. The lack of ventilation inside the home, combined with the exposure to the gas, caused the occupants
to have hallucinations. Both were transported to Colleton Medical Center for further treatment. 

Engine 1, Engine 19, Medic 19, Medic 27, Battalion 1 and Truck 16 responded. Firefighter-Paramedic Wright served as Incident Commander. Battalion 1 had an extended ETA due to responding from a previous structure fire in Jacksonboro.